Austin, TX | 512-940-3048 | firstname.lastname@example.org | linkedin.com/in/zetlen | jameszetlen.com
Senior Software Engineer | Adobe, Inc. | Austin, TX | 2019-
- Spearheaded integration planning and business alignment of Magento frontend projects and Adobe systems, from the exploratory phase to the implementation phase, via design documents, stakeholder meetings, presentations and one-on-one strategizing.
- Piloted several integrations of bundled microfrontends into Adobe's next-generation content rendering platform via islands architecture. Redesigned toolchain, resulting in a 70% reduction in bundle size and time to FCP (first contentful paint).
Lead Frontend Architect | Magento, Inc | Austin, TX | 2016-2019
- Orchestrated a total overhaul of the ~50,000 LOC frontend architecture for the Magento 2 ecommerce framework, producing over 1000 live Magento 2 PWAs (Progressive Web Apps), a 50% increase in surveyed developer satisfaction in the Magento third-party ecosystem, and a top bullet point for business value leading to Magento's $1.68B acquisition by Adobe.
- Devised an end-to-end plan for a Progressive Web App reference frontend for Magento 2; created PWA Studio project and branding concept and worked with marketing managers and technical writers to create a brand and persona for the new framework.
- Collaborated with Google on emerging best practices for ecommerce on Progressive Web Apps by joining the Chrome Advisory Board as a subject matter expert.
- Championed PWA Studio and its suite of tools by presenting talks and workshops throughout the international community of Magento partner events, speaking at more than a dozen conferences.
Senior Frontend Developer | PayPal, Inc | Austin, TX | 2015-2016
- Implemented 15% of key screens in the PayPal mobile web app, migrating to React.
- Created a simple and fast navigation UI by designing a multi-tiered gradual autosuggest system.
- Drove refactor of Node MVC apps to more modular components.
Frontend Architect | Volusion, Inc | Austin, TX | 2011-2015
- Frontend lead on the core team for Volusion's next-generation platform, Mozu.
- Engineered frontend technology stack for Mozu's admin-side and storefront-side needs, including theme engine and rendering strategy, WYSIWYG editing surface, and component system.
- Mozu was scaled to 100+ sites. It was acquired by Kibo Commerce in 2017; the platform is a current leader for B2B commerce in the Forrester Wave report.
- Authored Patent #8,522,134: Methods and apparatus for inline editing of web page content with reduced disruption of logical and presentational structure of content
Technical Architect | Convio | Austin, TX | 2008-2011
- Led implementations of national fundraising campaigns for large nonprofit organizations.
- Pioneered a "reusable technical solutions" practice across internal professional services team.
University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA | B.A. Neuroscience
- Environments: Browsers, Node, WebWorkers, ServiceWorkers, Edge Functions
- Frameworks: React, Next.js, Svelte, Angular, Express, Magento, Knockout, jQuery
- Patterns: REST, GraphQL, serverless, microservices, islands architecture, observability
- Tools: Git, Vim, VSCode, Webpack, Babel, Docker, NGINX, OpenWhisk, Linux, MacOS, Windows
- Communication and Collaboration: Presentations, tech talks, training and workshops, documentation, mentorship and knowledge transfer